Friday, June 10, 2011

Flashback Friday - Frappuccino Knockoff

Welcome to Flashback Fridays, a new gimmick series I'm starting here.  This blog is 3-1/2 years old and there is actually a bit of useful information back in the archives.  Every now and then -- on a Friday, obviously -- I'll re-post something I wrote way back when.



This post is from August 1, 2008.  This seems like a timely post to resurrect since it's been so warm here lately.  Prices may have gone up a little since then, but I don't think the overall price of the drink has increased by more than a few cents.




**********




I like those canned or bottled creamy coffee drinks made by Starbucks and other companies, but I never want to pay the price for them, so I came up with a copy cat recipe. I haven't done a side-by-side taste comparison, but I think this concoction tastes pretty good.

It's much cheaper than the ready-made version, even if you choose to buy and use the Starbucks coffee at home. I've done just that, but honestly, I like the French roast and dark roast versions of Wal-Mart's Great Value brand. That's what I usually use. Use whatever coffee is your favorite.

I also use evaporated milk instead of regular (refrigerated) milk or half and half. I like the creaminess of the evaporated milk. What's more, a half a cup of evapomilk has the same amount of calcium as a full cup of regular milk. I'm concerned about my calcium intake, so this is an important factor for me. If you're worried about calories, the name brand evapomilk usually come in a fat-free version, yet still have a creamy texture.

Here's the quick math, based on a little online research for amounts per pound:
  • Wal-Mart Coffee - approx. $3.50 per pound / 25 (8-oz.) cups per pound = 14¢
  • Aldi Sugar - 40¢ per pound /32 Tablespoons per pound = 1¢ per Tablespoon x 2 = 2¢
  • Aldi Evaporated Milk - 69¢ per 12 oz. can = 6¢ per ounce x 4 = 24¢
Total for 12 ounces of coffee drink = 40¢ (about 75¢ if you use Starbucks coffee)


And here's the quick recipe:


Annie's Chilled Cappuccino
8 oz. strong hot coffee
2 Tablespoons sugar (or to taste)
1/2 cup evaporated milk

Stir sugar into hot coffee until it dissolves. Stir in evaporated milk. Pour into jar or travel mug with a lid. Chill several hours; shake well before drinking.

Optional: Add chocolate syrup (or any other flavor) to taste.

Makes 12 ounces.

5 comments:

A.Marie said...

Oh boy!!! Thanks for the recipe!!! YUMMY!!! :)

McVal said...

Oh yum! I LOVE frappuccino! Thanks!

Lisa B. said...

You are right, there is a lot of great info here in the last three years... but I have a hard time finding it when I need it. I've never understood bloggers who do not use tags to make it easy for followers to find something. I thought that was the point of blogging.... sharing information. Maybe one day you can enlighten me? lol

Annie Jones said...

Lisa, I've had good intentions about using tags, but poor follow-through. I also don't always know, myself, how I want to tag something.

I guess I'm just not very good about keeping up with the day-to-day blog maintenance. :(

Sonya Ann said...

I can't wait to get my drink on!