Friday, October 15, 2010

Homemade Cranberry Sauce


There aren't many recipes that are easier than making homemade cranberry sauce.  It's "real food" and it's tastier than the stuff in the can.  With Fall officially here and Thanksgiving right around the corner, cranberries will soon be appearing in the produce bins at great prices. Cranberries freeze beautifully and don't need to be thawed to make this (and many other) recipes.  Grab several bags when they're on sale and pop them straight into the freezer, bag and all.  You'll want them to make this sauce throughout the year.

One of my favorite ways to eat this cranberry sauce is to spice it with cinnamon and nutmeg and then stir it into homemade yogurt.


Homemade Cranberry Sauce (and variations)

1 12-oz. bag fresh or frozen cranberries
1 cup sugar
1 cup water

Place all ingredients in medium saucepan. 



Stir and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until nearly all of the cranberries have popped open.


Remove from heat and transfer to serving bowl or canning jars.  Let cool to room temperature, then refrigerate.  Sauce will thicken as it cools.

Variations:
  • If you like the gelled kind of sauce better than the whole berries, then place cooked sauce (preferable at room temperature) into a blender or food processor and process until smooth.
  • Add any or all of the following, per your own taste:
Cinnamon
Nutmeg
Pumpkin Pie or Apple Pie Spices
Raisins
Blueberries (fresh or dried)
Pecans or walnuts
Orange zest
Chopped celery
Brown sugar instead of white sugar
Sucanat or natural cane juice crystals instead of white sugar

This post was written in conjunction with the Real Food Deals carnival at Premeditated Leftovers.  Please visit by clicking HERE to read about other Real Food Deals and recipes.

7 comments:

Sheila said...

I had no idea making cranberry sauce was so easy. For as long as I can remember, our family has used the canned cranberry sauce. I think I'll try to make my own this year. Thanks for sharing. Have a wonderful weekend.

Melynda@Scratch Made Food! said...

Your sauce looks delicious, thanks also for showing me the way to Alea's blog carnival. Love carnivals, even if I don't have something to share, I love to learn. Thanks again!

Alea Milham said...

I can't tell you how happy I am that you shared this. I bought a huge bag of cranberries determined to make cranberry sauce from scratch this year...but I've never actually done it before. I love all the ideas - I am going to have tons of fun experimenting!

Sonya Ann said...

My dad loved cranberries. He would have wanted me to try and make this for him. Thanks for the memory!
Have a great weekend!

McVal said...

Oh yummy! I'm printing this off now! Gotta pick up some cranberries...

slugmama said...

Will try this recipe this year.
I make cranberry sauce but the gelatinous stuff is still king with the family.lol
I like to add cranberries to my apple pie filling, quick breads or oatmeal cookies.

Bonnie said...

We love cranberries and sauce at our house. Nothing is better than homemade. Love your blog. Thanks you for visiting mine.