Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Sweet and Tangy Meatballs


Last week I had Ginger Ale Meatballs on my menu, but the recipe called for pre-made meatballs. I've been known to buy those from time to time, but I didn't have any in the freezer. I came up with this recipe using what I DID have on hand that day.

This recipe makes lots of meatballs. For me, lots means 52. Plenty for us to have two tasty meals.


Sweet and Tangy Meatballs

1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup milk
3/4 cup fine graham cracker crumbs (yes, graham cracker crumbs)
1 teaspoon smoke-flavored salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 Tablespoons dehydrated minced onion
2 pounds ground beef
2 cups ketchup
2 cups ginger ale
1 Tablespoon minced garlic (the kind from a jar) (adjust to suit your taste)

Heat oven to 450°F.

Combine egg, milk, graham cracker crumbs, salt, pepper and dehydrated onion. Crumble ground beef over egg mixture, then mix well using a wooden spoon or your hands.

Form into meatballs of desired size. (I used a small ice cream scoop and was able to make 50.) Place meatballs in glass or metal baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes.

Combine ketchup, ginger ale and garlic.

Transfer meatballs to Crock Pot. Pour ketchup mixture over all. Cook on High for about 3 hours. If desired, thicken sauce by adding 1 T. cornstarch combined with a little cold water, then letting sauce continue to cook for about 30 minutes. Spoon meatballs and sauce over hot cooked rice.

Makes 6-8 servings.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

They sound delicious. Now that I've figured out the joy of turfing the crockpot out in the garage I think I may give them a go.

Janelle said...

Definitely different - sounds good. I made meatballs yesterday, but I make them to freeze for future meals. I got a 3 lb. pack of 93% lean ground beef at the store for under $6, so I made a batch - got enough for 4 meals, and the kids LOVE meatballs!!! $1.50 a meal isn't bad. May have to try this sauce on them, though, since my middle one loves ginger ale.

A.Marie said...

Oh, these sound seriously yummy...I might just have to try them soon. I love ginger ale and the fact that this recipe uses graham crackers sounds intriguing!

Between your meatballs and Frances' peanut butter brownies, I just might have the start of a menu plan for sometime this week!

The Cookbook Junkie said...

Those look great. I can't seem to find smoke-flavored salt around here though. I have some other smoky spices that might work.

Angela said...

Those meatballs look great. I'm allergic to meatballs but I'm going to pass the recipe on to my Dad who absolutely loves meatballs of every kind. He'll be so excited.