Thursday, October 11, 2007

If It's Useful, Use It. If It's Not, Let It Go.

I have a full day of baking, grocery shopping and taking Kat to "Messy Night" at school, so I don't have much of a post of my own today.

Instead, check out this guest post over at Get Rich Slowly. It's a great commentary about how Amanda and her family have decided to make the most of the things they own and the activities they enjoy, while not spending money on those they don't.

It's not just about saving money, but about simplifying to enjoy their lives more.

While you're there, take a look at some of J.D.'s other articles at Get Rich Slowly. There's a lot of good information there.

2 comments:

DadGuy said...

A good rule of thumb for me when I come upon something I really want is to wait a month or so. if I still really really want it 99% of the time the purchase is justified. Usually I either forget about it or gain some better perspective on things.

It's funny how spending a couple hundred bucks on something like an xbox 360 seems way out of reach, yet we've dumped over a thousand dollars into our vehicles the past month (yeah, don't ask). The car thing seems normal, and a cost of living, but somehow the xbox seems way out of reach price-wise. Funny how that works.

Annie Jones said...

Dadguy: When you put it in practice, it's amazing how many things you thought you wanted or needed are quickly forgotten.

As for the xbox vs. the car maintenance, I think you have a good handle on knowing what is a needed expenditure vs. a wanted luxury. The xbox sounds like more fun, though. ;)