Friday, October 12, 2007

By Request

My LFF* asked if I'd post the recipe for the Savory Pork Loin that was on my menu this week, and also wanted to know if I had a recipe for a vinegar-y dressing for pasta salad. So here they are. Sorry, but I didn't think to take a picture of the pork roast.


Savory Pork Roast

a 4-5 pound pork loin roast
1 large onion, sliced
1 bay leaf
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
1 Tablespoon garlic powder

Place roast and onion in slow cooker. Add bay leaf, soy sauce and garlic powder. Cover. Cook on High for 1 hour, then on Low for 6 hours. Slice and serve.

Serves 6 to 8.

Source: Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook: Feasting with your Slow Cooker

Notes:

  • To prepare in oven, add about 1 cup of water to recipe. Use an oven-proof skillet or roasting pan with lid, or cover baking dish tightly with foil. Roast at low temp (250° to 275° F.) for 3 to 5 hours or until meat is very tender.
  • While not terribly dry, I think this recipe might work better with a pork butt roast or shoulder roast that is a little less lean than loin. This would be especially true if made in the oven instead of slow cooker.


Italian Pasta Salad


Salad:
5 cups cooked pasta, any shape

2 small Roma tomatoes, diced

1/2 small zucchini, diced

1 small red onion, diced

1/2 bell pepper, any color, diced

About 20 slices of pepperoni, quartered

Dressing:
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup blended Italian dressing (the kind that doesn't separate after you shake it)
2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar (or cider vinegar or red wine vinegar)

Combine all salad ingredients and mix well. Whisk dressing ingredients until well combined. Stir 1/2 to 2/3 of dressing into salad, reserving the rest of dressing. Chill both salad and reserved dressing. Stir in remaining dressing just before serving.

Source: Annie Jones

Notes: My friend said she would add black olives to the salad. I think that would be a great addition.



* Longest Friend Forever. We've known each other since we were in 5th grade and have been BFFs most of that time. But I don't think it's very nice to call her my oldest friend, since she's younger than me.

No comments: