Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Back From Kansas - Part 2

First, I want to say that I grew up in a Missouri family that did and still does poke fun at the state of Kansas any time the opportunity arises.  I know a few of my readers are Kansans.  I'd like to assure them that it's all just in fun and no harm is meant.  Most of the time.

That said, I'm surprised that it looks like it might take three blog posts to tell about my trip across the state.  Who knew there'd be so much to say?  And most of it positive at that.

Let me also say that I'm not your typical vacation traveler.  I would rather go off the beaten path and see something unusual than to hit all the typical vacation/sight-seeing spots or retail shopping districts.  Give me an antique mall, flea market, or roadside oddity and I'm a happy traveler.

Combine those concepts, and this is what you might see:


  • Supposedly, the largest flea market in Kansas.  What a dud, though.  It's comprised of individual vendors, about half of which weren't there and had their wares covered with sheets.  I did see quite the collection of vintage bed linens, though. (SE Wichita)
 

  • A seven or eight foot tall horse made from automobile bumpers. (Downtown Wichita)


  • Hot and cold running water. (Pratt)




  • Folk-Art-On-A-Stick, and LOTS of it.  (Mullinville)




  • An A.B. Dick Mimeograph machine (circa 1903 to 1909) and a Bausch & Lomb Optical Projector (circa 1912), both sitting near a garbage can at a Santa Fe Trail historical marker.  Also, what looks like a really huge camo bill cap to the left of the screen there. (Just west of Dodge City)


  • Not an oddity, but a beautiful rarity.  1954 Chevrolet.  (Garden City)


  • A strange man in my hotel room.  (Garden City)


More pictures and tales tomorrow.  Hopefully a little more tastefully done.

5 comments:

Osage Bluff Quilter said...

You found a lot more intersting things in Kansas , then I ever did!

Dmarie said...

what fabulous vacation pics!! I like to check out the grocery stores when I go somewhere new (in hopes to bring home regional foods), so I'm with you on the unusual over touristy. Btw, that strange man looks like the kinda man you could trust...after all, he drinks responsibly! ;)

Annie Jones said...

Dmarie: I like to do that, too, although I didn't on this trip. And yes, he's responsible for a lot when he drinks! (Just kidding...I think he likes the idea of drinking a lot more than he actual drinks...)

Sheila said...

My husband has always told me there's not much to see or do in Kansas but I see he was mistaken!! I went to 2 grocery stores when we were in Myrtle Beach a few weeks ago. Love the horse and that car. Reminds me of the car my great grandma ran into the Piggly Wiggly with--yep, right into the building!! Nice looking stranger!! Take care.

slugmama said...

Ok, I just have to be tasteless and say it....did that strange man have a salami in his pocket or was he just glad to see you?
I know, I know.....you can stop groaning now.
I blame SonyaAnn for getting my mind into that gutter and I am medicated so I am not responsible for anything I type right now.lol