Monday, January 3, 2011

Monday Morning Chit Chat - First One Of The Year

And almost afternoon at that. Things are a little chaotic around here. Kat has another couple of days of winter vacation and Shane didn't have work today (none to be had, unfortunately), so it's a full house here again.

I hope all of you had a wonderful New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. We had a great time at our friends' party and then on New Year's Day, we just stayed home and relaxed. I fixed our traditional southern/soul food meal. It varies a little each year (here's last year's version); this year I made ham hock gravy, homemade buttermilk biscuits, a pot of mixed collard and turnip greens and a sweet potato pie.

Yesterday was another day of rest. I did a few chores, but that's about it.

I had thought I should write some kind a inspiration post on January 1, or a list of resolutions or goals for the year. But honestly, I have no list of resolutions and didn't have the mindset for that kind of post. That's not to say I don't want do improve things (my self, my home, my habits, my finances) this year. I simply haven't organized those thoughts yet. I do know for sure that I want to take more time to do things I enjoy, like reading, crafts and camping. We didn't camp at all last year; I'd like to make sure we do this year.

One thing I DID change about the blog is that I have an area in my sidebar where I'll be tracking my grocery spending. I think that will help keep me accountable and is there for anyone to see, but won't take up reading time for those who aren't interested. I'll be updating the current month's expenses as they accrue. 

On that note, I failed miserable at my December pantry challenge, and I can' even say, "What was I thinking, trying this in December?" because I knew going in to it that it probably wouldn't work. Regardless, we ended 2010 with an average monthly grocery expense of $223 for a family of three. Remember, that's just food, no toiletries or pet goods included.

Not a lot is on my plate this week. Kat goes back to school on Wednesday and we aren't sure yet when Shane will go back to work. I have a mystery shop to do later in the week, and I'll be having lunch with my friend Quiltgranny, later in the week also. (Just sent you a FB message, Sharon.)

What do you have planned for the first week of 2011.  Did anyone make resolutions?  If so, share them with us.

4 comments:

Frances said...

Hi, Annie Jones! Happy New Year to you. I don't make resolutions as I don't want to be one of the people that make them, then don't follow through.

I am inspired by your low grocery costs for the year!

Annie Jones said...

Hi Frances! I'm with you...I don't usually keep up with the resolutions I make, so why even list them out? I just have a general idea that I want to do/be "better" this year. Whatever that means. ;)

Lisa B. said...

I don't make resolutions per say. I do have goals I want to meet though.

My number one goal right now is to never have to hand wash another dish in my life! My dishwasher died. :(

What dishwasher did you buy from Lowes and are you happy with it?

Annie Jones said...

Lisa: Did you get my message on your blog about my dishwasher?