Thursday, December 30, 2010

Bowers Stew

A while back I made a dish called Bowers Stew. It was a recipe I clipped from our local Price Chopper grocery ad several months ago. I'd like to give more information about and credit to the person who submitted it, but that's really all I know about it.  Other than it tastes great and is something of a cross between chili and baked beans.

I promised Kim at Kim and Mikey Got Married that I'd post the recipe, so here it is!  BTW, I made a half-batch for our family of three (who eat like at least four) and it was plenty.




Bowers Stew

 2-1/2 pounds ground beef
1 pound bacon
1 onion, chopped
1 can pork and beans
1 can red beans*
1 can great northern beans*
1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon vinegar
3 tablespoon liquid hickory smoke flavoring (yes, 3 full tablespoons)
Tabasco sauce (optional)

Cook ground beef and bacon separately.  Drain grease.  Combine beef and bacon with remaining ingredients in a slow cooker.  Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.  Add Tabasco sauce as desired for a spicier flavor.


* I used black beans and great northern white beans that I had cooked from the dry form.  For each can of beans in the recipe I used about 1-1/2 cups of home cooked beans.

4 comments:

Kim @ Kim and Mikey said...

Thanks for sharing the receipe. I plan on making this to take to our church's potluck supper tomorrow night.

McVal said...

wOW! That looks good. It sounds a lot like our calico beans recipe... I'll have to compare.

kuhn rikon pressure cooker said...

It reminds me of calico beans as well. Have to try this one! It looks delicious. Thanks for the recipe.

Annie Jones said...

Kim: So, how'd it go over?

McVal: Yes, it's something like calico beans, I think.

KRPC: Thanks for stopping by. Let me know if you try this recipe.