Thursday, November 19, 2009

Old-Fashioned Oatmeal Cake


Yesterday was Shane's birthday, but I didn't have time to make a cake for him until today. This is a recipe that I got from my mom. I remember her making it when I was a kid, so it was probably passed down to her from my Grandma T. It looks and tastes similar to a German Chocolate Cake, but in my opinion, it's so much better. You can use any kind of nuts you like in the frosting. Today I used black walnuts. Yum!


Old-Fashioned Oatmeal Cake

1-1/4 cups boiling water
1 cup oats
1 stick butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1-1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt

Frosting: 6 Tablespoons butter
1 cup nuts, chopped
1 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

In a large bowl, combine boiling water, oats and 1 stick of butter; let sit for 20 minutes.

Heat oven to 350°F. Add both sugars and 2 eggs to oat mixture; mix well.

In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Gradually add to oat mixture and mix until smooth.

Pour in to 13x9 pan that has been sprayed with pan spray. Bake at 350°F. for 35 minutes. Let cool in pan while making frosting.

Meanwhile, combine all frosting ingredients except the vanilla in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil; boil for two minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla. Pour hot frosting over warm cake and spread evenly. Let sit for at least 20 minutes before serving.

Makes approximately 12 servings.

3 comments:

Sonya Ann said...

Can I live with you? I'm clean but not so quiet!!!
Thanks for sticking by me!

Annie Jones said...

I was thinking it would be cool if we lived closer. But maybe not in the same house. There's an empty house on block, though. You'd just have to walk across the street to have some cake with me. :)

A.Marie said...

Ummmm..this cake looks yummy.