Monday, April 27, 2009

Shredded Brussels Sprouts with Bacon


I found Brussels sprouts in the store late last week for 99¢ a pound, so I bought a large bag. I blanched and froze about half of them for later, and divided the rest into two portions to cook this week.

Today I shredded them and cooked them with bacon and onion. I added just a little turkey broth, thawed from a batch I made and froze last week. Both the shredding and the broth help to tone down the strong taste the sprouts sometimes have.

To shred the sprouts, I trimmed the stem end and removed any discolored outer leaves (and tossed the ends and leaves into my compost bucket). I then sliced each sprout in half from stem to top, laid each half cut-side down on the cutting board and sliced into thin shreds.


Shredded Brussels Sprouts with Bacon

1/4 pound bacon (or to taste), diced then fried crisp
1/2 medium onion, diced
1/2 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed, then shredded
1/4 to 1/3 cup chicken or turkey broth

In a large skillet, fry bacon and onion until bacon is crisp. Drain if desired (I didn't).

Add Brussels sprouts and cook, stirring often, until they develop a bright green color and some of them begin to brown slightly in the bacon fat.

Stir in broth and continue cooking until sprouts are tender, 5 to 7 minutes.

Makes 2 to 4 servings.

7 comments:

A.Marie said...

Oh wow! What a great site! I found you blog via someone's blog, I just can't figure out who it was! Oh my, I think my memory is failing me! Anyway, great, great blog and I can't wait to try some of those recipes at your other blog! :)

A.Marie said...

Ooh..Now I remember, I found your blog via Amiyrah's blog at 4 hats and frugal!

The Cookbook Junkie said...

Yum! I love shredded brussels sprouts. That's the best way to 3eat them.

A.Marie said...

Come by my blog sometime; I have something for you! :)

Annie Jones said...

Paula: Thanks for stopping by!

A. Marie: Thanks for stopping by, too. I'll be around to your blog soon.

CJ: I think the same thing. They are just more enjoyable shredded.

Jules @ Lovely Las Vegas said...

Wow! Looks yummy : ). Hehe, bacon is a great touch.

Found your site via Ms. A. Marie.

Angela said...

That sounds like a great way to cook brussel sprouts. I like the taste of brussel sprouts, but I don't like how big they are, I never would have thought to shred them. Thanks for the recipe.