Sunday, February 8, 2009

Weekly Menu - February 8 through 14

Although I often plan for leftovers, each week there is usually one meal that yields unexpected leftovers. When that happens, I usually serve it again on another night, and drop one of my planned meals off the menu. This week three of those "dropped" meals are back on the menu.


Sunday 2/8 - BBQ Pork on Homemade Buns, French Fries, Cole Slaw, Jell-O with Fruit

The pork is about 1/3 of the meat from last week's Mexican Pork Burritos. The roast was large and made a huge amount of shredded meat.

Monday 2/9 - Meatball Stew, Homemade Dinner Rolls, Applesauce

This was originally on last week's meal plan.

Tuesday 2/10 - Pork Tamales in the Crockpot, Pinto Beans, Corn, Fresh Oranges

I'll be making tamales for the first time using the remaining 1/3 of the shredded pork. The oranges were sent to us from Shane's mom in Arizona, who picked them from the trees on her lot.

Wednesday 2/11 - Cabbage, Potato and Smoked Sausage Skillet, Corn Muffins, Jell-O with Fruit

Thursday 2/12 - Clean Out The Refrigerator Night and/or Potato Soup

Friday 2/13 - Snack Night: Sausage Pinwheels, Fried Bell Pepper Rings, Chicken Nuggets, Homemade Pretzels with Cheddar-Beer Dip, Deviled Eggs

All of these snacks were on previous menus, but for one reason or another did not get made.

Saturday 2/14: Pork and Clams, Asparagus, Fried Potato Chunks

Another meal from previous meal plans. I believe this was from two weeks ago. It sounds like such an interesting recipe to me that I'm determined to make it this time around.

4 comments:

Lisa B. said...

How do you fix your asparagus? And do you use canned, fresh or frozen. It's something I dont have a lot of experience cooking.

Annie Jones said...

Lisa: I prefer fresh asparagus, but what I have this week is some that I bought fresh in the fall, then blanched and froze here at home. I will also eat commercially frozen or canned, but I don't enjoy either of those as much.

I usually just steam it or simmer it in salted water until it is just barely tender, then serve it with butter and salt. Shane, for some reason, likes balsamic vinegar on his. I also like to grill or broil it with just a little olive oil or butter and lemon pepper.

The Absent Minded Housewife said...

Homemade tamales are fabulous.

Did you know that you could fill them with fruit and cream cheese too?

Annie Jones said...

Becky: I just filled the crockpot with a batch of 'em, but I couldn't wait so I wrapped the last one in parchment and microwaved it. Wow...so much better than the yucky storebought kind.

This recipe called for beef broth in the masa dough. So, if wanted to make them with fruit, would I change that to chicken broth?

Ok, just kidding...I guess I'd just use water or maybe milk?