Thursday, January 22, 2009

Plaza III Steak Soup (or KC-Style Steak Soup)


When I mentioned yesterday that I'll be making a quadruple batch of this soup for Shane and his work crew (and a little to keep at home), I had planned to link to the recipe.

I'm surprised that I've never posted it! This is one of my all-time favorites when it comes to soup. I don't know if it is identical to the soup they serve at the Plaza III Steakhouse, but it's close, as it came from a cookbook of recipes submitted by local restaurants.

Give it a try; I'm sure you'll want to at least double the batch the next time.


Plaza III Steak Soup

4 Tablespoons butter
1/4 cup flour
2 - 10 oz. cans beef broth or consomme (I highly recommend the consomme instead of broth)
1/4 cup diced carrots
1/4 cup diced onion
1/4 cup diced celery
1/2 cup chopped canned tomatoes
3/4 teaspoon Kitchen Bouquet browning sauce
1 beef bouillon cube
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
5 ounces frozen mixed vegetables
1/2 pound lean ground beef, browned and drained

Melt, but do not brown, the butter in a large soup pot. Add flour and stir to form a roux. Cook on medium heat without browning for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.

Add consomme to roux and stir until smooth and lightly thickened. Bring to a full boil; add the carrots, onion, celery, tomatoes, bouillon cube and pepper. Allow to regain a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are just tender, 20-30 minutes.

Stir in browning sauce to achieve a richer color and flavor.

Stir in frozen vegetables and cooked ground beef. Simmer for 15 minutes more.

Makes about 4 servings.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd forgotten all about this soup. One of our favorites, from one of our favorite restaurants. dthanks!

Lisa B. said...

This is one of our favorites too! I need to make some in the near future. I'm sure all your hubbies' co-workers love it as well, since it's such a hearty soup/stew.