Monday, April 28, 2008

Catching Up with Tags

Lisa at Living Easy tagged me last week with a "3 Things" meme, and Donna at Made In Heaven tagged me with a "5 Things" meme way back in January. I'm not going to make you suffer through eight things, but I will do five. I'm not going to tag anyone, but feel free to play if you like.


THREE RANDOM THINGS ABOUT ME

1. I grew up in a frugal family. My parents raised six kids on one salary, saving, recycling and reusing anything they could. They supplemented their income by buying things cheap at garage sales and reselling them at their own garage sales for a little more than they paid. They still do this, although it's been a long time since they've had kids living at home. All of my brothers and sisters and their families are frugalites in one way or another.


2. I've always loved food and cooking. I got an Easy Bake oven when I was 7 years old. I went through the little mixes in a day and immediately moved on to full-size cakes in the full-size oven. As a teenager, on the rare occasions we would make a trip to a mall, I never understood why my brother spent his allowance at the arcade. I spent mine in the food court.


3. I was always good at higher math in school, and even won ribbons and medals in math competitions, but I didn't have a clue how to set up an effective budget for our household until five years ago. I think managing household finances is an important skill that should be taught in school.







4. I am intrigued by the Amish. Not their religion, but the pure simplicity of their lifestyle. They seem perfectly happy with their "less is more" philosophy. I'm not sure I could ever live as simply as they do, but parts of their lifestyle are very appealing to me.




5. On the other hand, one of my goals, and Shane's, is to be debt-free before retirement so we can afford to buy an RV, either a 5th wheel or a bus. Being able to afford fuel to actually take it on the road will be an entirely different challenge.

4 comments:

The Absent Minded Housewife said...

Horse drawn RV! Simplicity and fuel savings!

Annie Jones said...

Now why didn't I think of that!

Donna said...

Wonderful answers Annie!! And you made CRACKERS??!!!! My Word!!!LOL...You're GOOD!!!...Happy day sweetie!!hughugs

Lisa B. said...

Today is going to be a great day to go garage saling!