Monday, December 3, 2007

Amish Friendship Bread - Cranberry-Lemon Version



This post is Part 4 in a series.

*****


So far, I've posted the recipes for the basic Amish Friendship Bread and Starter, a Triple-Chocolate Bundt Cake and a recipe for AFB Waffles. This time, I've come up with Cranberry-Lemon Loaves.


Cranberry-Lemon Friendship Loaves

1 cup of Day 10 starter
2 eggs
2/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon clear vanilla flavoring
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups flour
1 box lemon Jell-O gelatin
1 teaspoon dried grated orange rind
1 cup dried cranberries

Heat oven to 325°F. Spray four mini-loaf pans (approx 3" x 6") with non-stick pan spray.

Combine starter, eggs, milk, and vanilla flavoring in large non-metal bowl. In another bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Gradually stir dry ingredients into wet mixture, using a non-metal spoon.

Spread batter evenly into prepared loaf pans. Bake cake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. (see note below)

Cool, in pans, on wire rack until loaves begins to pull away from sides of pan, then turn out onto rack to cool. Store loaves covered at room temperature or in refrigerator. Loaves also freeze well.


Annie's Notes:

My favorite so far, these are light, moist and lemony. On a scale of 1 to 5, they get a 5.

A note on cooking time. A reader pointed out that I had originally written to pour the batter into a Bundt pan and to bake for 50-60 minutes. That was a "cut and paste" error from the chocolate Bundt cake version of the cake. Unfortunately, I can't remember exactly how long I cooked these small loaves, but I suggest checking them at the 30-minute mark, and if they aren't done, to keep baking and checking every 10 minutes until they test done with a toothpick. I apologize for any confusion.

4 comments:

Donna said...

OH MY WORD!!! I'll need a cuppa coffee to go with all that!!! lol
Looks fabulous!!!

Annie Jones said...

Donna: Methinks thou hast a sweet tooth!

amyb said...

The directions say to grease mini loaf pans, but then to pour the batter into a Bundt pan and bake for 50-60 minutes. Is that time for the loaves or the cake pan?

Thanks!

Annie Jones said...

Good catch Amy! I'll fix the Bundt pan error soon. To be honest, I can't remember how long I cooked the small loaves. That is par for the course for me...I just cook things until they look done and then check with a toothpick or thermometer to make sure. I suggest checking on them at 30 minutes to see if they appear done. If so, make sure with a toothpick test. If not, keep baking, checking every 10 minutes.

Sorry for the confusion, but thanks for stopping by and for commenting.