Friday, October 12, 2007

Ask The Readers: I Need A GOOD Mop


We have Pergo laminate wood floors in our kitchen/dining room. It probably needs mopped once a week, but it gets mopped every Wednesday.

Here's my problem: whatever kind of mop I use, it leaves visible streaks or a sticky film under my shoes or bare feet.

I don't think the cleaner is the problem. I use one of three things to clean it: store-bought hardwood cleaner, Windex (either store bought or a homemade knock-off) or a vinegar-water solution. All work well and don't streak if I get down on my hands and knees and use paper towels or cloth diapers to wipe the floor. I didn't mind doing this when we lived in a townhouse, because the kitchen was tiny. But our combo kitchen here is three times the size and I'd rather not spend so much time on it.

When I use the same cleaners with a mop in hand and feet on the floor, and I get streaks. I've tried the Swiffer mops, with their solution (it leaves a heavy film...eww!) or mine. I've tried the larger flat mops with the washable terry cloth covers. I've tried this kind of mop.

The closest I've come to success is pinning a cloth diaper to the mop that uses the terry cloth cover. It leaves fewer streaks, but the diaper shifts around making the mop bounce and skip over the floor instead of gliding over it.

Anyone got any suggestions for a quality mop? I don't like having streaks on the floor, I hate the tacky feeling underfoot, and I definitely don't want to have to go over the floor twice just to buff the streaks and film away.

2 comments:

Fantastagirl said...

I have to get on my hands and knees do the vinegar and water solution. I will never have a laminet (sp?) floor again.

If you find something that works, let me know.

Annie Jones said...

Fantastagirl: I'm not a fan of wood floors, either laminate or the real thing, but I have to say I really like the way ours looks in the kitchen/dining room. I just don't like the tacky film when I walk.

Maybe I should just move to an old cabin in the woods with hardpan dirt floors! It would save a lot of time sweeping and mopping. LOL!