Monday, July 11, 2011

Tangy, Spicy Pan-Fried Potatoes




These are the potatoes I made for Kat's pre-birthday birthday party a couple of weeks ago.  Everyone seemed to enjoy them, so I'm sure I'll be making them again.


Tangy, Spicy Pan-Fried Potatoes

1 pound russet potatoes
1 small onion, chopped
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, or to taste
4 slices pickled jalapenos, minced
2-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander (I crushed some whole seeds)
1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
3 Tablespoons peanut oil (or oil of choice)
1/4 cup rice vinegar (I used my home-infused chive blossom vinegar)
3 Tablespoons water

Peel potatoes and cut into 1/2-inch cubes.  Place in a large bowl; toss with onion, garlic powder, jalapeno, cumin, coriander and salt.

Heat oil in a large skillet.  Cook potatoes over medium to high heat 10 to 12 minutes, stirring frequently and scraping browned bits from pan.  Add rice vinegar and water.  Continue to cook until all liquid is evaporated and potatoes are tender, 6 to 8 minutes.

Serves 4.  Can add bits of leftover chopped meat to make a hearty side dish for 2.

5 comments:

Mark said...

Ha! I'm one step ahead of you this time. I just finished eating before I read this post and now I'm not drooling like I usually am.
Those look great!
Have a good day. m.

Unknown said...

These look fantastic! I'll have to try these :)

McVal said...

Oohhhhh That looks delish! My husband usually just adds some oil and some onion soup mix to them. But this sounds so much better!

Alea Milham said...

I think these sound really good. I love the spicy twist and I think my dh will too.

Sonya Ann said...

Yay more recipes!!! This one is making my mouth water. I love me some potatoes.