Monday, July 25, 2011

Chicken In Creamy Almond Sauce

I've had this recipe in my card file for years, but I'm just now getting around to trying it.  Shane liked it a lot.  Kat liked it, but would prefer I left out the almonds next time.  I liked it, but think a splash of white wine in the sauce would be quite nice.  Or maybe some sauteed mushrooms.  In my opinion, it's one of those recipes that's a good starting point for making an even better dish.


Chicken In Creamy Almond Sauce

3 large chicken breast halves
2/3 cup sliced almond
2 Tablespoons butter
salt and pepper to taste
1-1/2 Tablespoons cornstarch (can use potato starch, Mochiko or 2 Tablespoons flour)
1 cup milk
1 cup chicken broth
2 Tablespoons orange marmalade (I used frozen orange juice concentrate by necessity)
2 Tablespoon Dijon mustard

Cut chicken breast halves in half and pound to 1/4-inch thickness, resulting in 6 cutlets.

Melt butter over medium heat in a large frying pan.  Toast almond slices in butter just until they begin to brown.  Remove from butter and set them aside.

Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper and, over medium heat, brown in the butter that is already in the pan.

Meanwhile, whisk milk and broth into cornstarch and heat over medium high heat until bubbly and slightly thickened.   Stir in mustard and orange marmalade.  Stir in about half of almonds.  Pour sauce over chicken in pan.  Continue cooking chicken and sauce until sauce thickens somewhat, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Transfer chicken to serving platter.  Spoon sauce over top and garnish with remaining almond slices.

Serves 4 to 6.

3 comments:

A.Marie said...

slurp...slobber...swipe...I just licked my computer screen clean as I am now drooling all over my keyboard....That looks DELISH!!

Dmarie said...

almonds and orange...well, yum!!

Melynda@Scratch Made Food! said...

I thought this sounded real good, want to try it! Thanks Annie