Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Guest Post - Orange-Polenta Pound Cake

This is a guest post from Jenn at A Cook's Quest.  I will be returning to regular posting very soon.


**********


There is something wonderful about the texture cornmeal adds to a recipe.  When I stumbled onto this cake recipe I knew instantly that I wanted to try it.  It not only had cornmeal in it, but also the flavor of oranges, which lemon is my favorite of the citrus fruits.  How could it be bad?

It isn’t a one bowl cake, but I didn’t mind cleaning a few extras after I tasted it.  The crumb is tender and fine, with a wonderful texture thanks to the cornmeal.  I think it is sweet enough for a summer dessert, but not too sweet to have for a brunch (maybe even breakfast).  I sprinkled it with powdered sugar for a fast and pretty finish.  But next time I think I might top it with macerated berries and fresh whipped cream, Oh My!  I hope you ENJOY!

Orange-Polenta Pound Cake
Recipe Source: More magazine, June, 2011 edition, modified slighlyt by A Cook’s Quest

2 sticks of butter, softened, plus more for the pan
1 cup flour
1 cup cornmeal
1 ½ tsp. baking powder
Pinch of salt
Zest of one orange
1 cup sugar
5 eggs, separated
Juice of one orange

Preheat oven to 325 F.  Grease a fluted tube pan or a loaf pan with butter.

Mix together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and orange zest in a small bowl, and set aside.  In another bowl, (I used my food processor) cream the butter until it’s smooth.  Add ¾ cup of the sugar, and process until it’s well blended; then add the remaining sugar.  Continue mixing until the mixture is light in color and fluffy, scraping the sides of the bowl down as necessary.  With the mixer running, add the egg yolks one at a time.  Add the orange juice and process until blended.   Transfer to a large bowl and add the dry ingredients.  Mix until just combined, don’t over mix.  The mixture will be very thick.

In another bowl, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form; fold into the other mixture thoroughly but gently.

Turn the cake batter into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the top comes out clean.  Depending on your pan this can be anywhere from 1-1 ½ hours.  Let the cake rest 5 minutes then invert onto a rack. Remove the pan and turn right side up.  Allow to cool completely then top with powdered sugar, an orange glaze or just eat it as it is.

3 comments:

Alea Milham said...

I love that this cake uses corn flour - how novel! The flavors of this cake are calling to me - it looks so delicious!

McVal said...

Oh my yummy! My daughter is trying to figure out a cornmeal recipe to take to the fair. I think this could be it!

Anonymous said...

This is definately going into my "to bake" list. Thanks!