Thursday, June 2, 2011

Compostable Carryout Containers

I had lunch today with a friend at a place called Hamburger Mary's, which is a small chain of about ten restaurants across the country.  They make an awesome meatloaf sandwich that was awesomely huge, so I asked for a carry out box.  I was so happy when they brought me this:


I know the pics aren't good, but this is a fully compostable container made from sugar cane fiber.  It's going straight onto the compost bin in the morning.


It's a line called Monogram Sustain from U.S. Foodservice.  Per their website:
Monogram Sustain™ is the line of products that takes a renewable resource approach to foodservice disposables. Made from corn, sugarcane, or potatoes, Monogram Sustain™ items contain raw materials that are biodegradable, compostable, petroleum free, nonallergenic and nontoxic.
Kudos to US Foodservice for offering these, and kudos to Hamburger Mary's for using them.  If they can do it, so can everyone else!

Has anyone else seen these yet?

4 comments:

slugmama said...

Very cool!
I'll be looking for those....

I haven't seen them yet but I've used packing peanuts made of cornstarch before. You can wet them and they biodegrade into corn mush.
I see CVS carries a line of biodegradable trash bags as well.

Slowly the better enviro-friendly products are showing up here.

Sonya Ann said...

I think that it is very cool that you posted this. I feel very "in the know."
Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

I love a good meatloaf sandwich. The container makes it that much more appealing. I resurrected the blog; stop by for a visit sometime!

Anonymous said...

We love these! My husband sells for U.S. Foodservice.