Sunday, April 3, 2011

Weekly Menu Retrospective - 3/27 to 4/2

I'm a menu planner, but when I've tried to post my weekly menus here in the past, they weren't accurate because I often change things at the last minute. On the other hand, I really like being able to look back to see what we've eaten, what we loved, what we disliked, and most of all being able to link to the recipes on my menus that have come from other blogs. That's why I prefer to post my weekly menus after the fact.



**********


Sunday, March 27 - Fried Egg Sandwiches on Toast, Popcorn


I was making Cajun Smothered 7-Steak (with venison instead of beef), but it didn't get done in time to eat Sunday night.  I made a hurry-up meal of egg sandwiches instead.  The venison turned out to be too spicy for Kat, anyway, so I ate it throughout the week for my lunch, first over cheesy grits, then over red quinoa.  Loved it both ways.



Monday, March 28
- Macaroni and White Cheddar with Tuna (cheater's tuna noodle casserole?), Corn, Summer Mix Veggies (zucchini, yellow squash, green beans, peppers, carrots), Clementines

Anything with tuna is Kat's favorite, so she thought this quick meal was great.



Tuesday, March 29
- General Tso's Chicken, Lo Mein (minus the pork), Crab Rangoon, Corn, Fortune Cookies

I left the spice out of the chicken, so it was less General Tso's and more just chicken with a Chinese flair.  Good, though.



Wednesday, March 30
- Leftovers.


Kat wasn't very fond of the lo mein from Tuesday night, so she ate tuna mac.  I'm not very fond of tuna mac, so I ate lo mein.  We both had corn and mixed veggies.


Thursday, March 31
- More leftovers.

Same as Wednesday night, but with the addition of the last three remaining clementines and a bowl of ice cream for Kat.



Friday, April 1
- Chicken Salad Sandwiches with Cheese on Toast, Tater Tots, Strawberries, Carrots with Dip

I used bone-in split chicken breasts for the General Tso's Chicken earlier in the week, filleting them myself.  I simmered the bones, making chicken stock and was able to pick enough meat from the bones to make enough chicken salad for four sandwiches.


Saturday, April 2
- Out at Five Guys Burgers and Fries .

I've been wanting to try this place since they came to town a two or three years ago.  Now that I've tried it, I have to say I liked, but didn't love it, and I thought it was pricey (2 single burgers, 2 fries, 2 drinks for $19).

The only choice of cheese is American and I prefer a flame broiled burger over one fried on a flat-top grill.  But it was still a good tasting, big burger.  The fries are hand-cut and they are very generous with them, to the tune of about a pound per order.  Kat and I ate our burgers and some of our fries, but here's how many fries we brought home after we were done.  I was so curious that I had to weigh them...2 pounds 9 ounces after we'd eaten some of them.  So as not to be misled, this container will hold an entire pie, in it's pie pan.  Yep, that's a lot of fries.

It's a good thing I already had potato, ham and egg skillet on the menu for tonight's supper.  These potatoes are going to save me a lot of time.  :)




1 comment:

Melynda@Scratch Made Food! said...

5 Guys is not that generous with the fries in our area, but the price is equal. I would go there for the fries however, they are that good.