Thursday, March 3, 2011

First Official Garden Update

I started coming down with a cold yesterday.  I can't remember the last one I had, so I did a quick search of my blog and it looks like maybe it was back in February 2010.  That's a good long run for me to not have a cold, so I can't complain much, but I do hope this one is as mild as it seems like it might be.

Anyway, I decided to take it easy yesterday.  I took a walk around our yard yesterday to see what, if anything, was happening out there.  I'm happy to say that irises and daffodils have broken ground, three kinds of succulents are starting to green up, there are buds on the white bud, red bud and dogwood trees, the young blueberry bushes seem to have survived the winter and we have chives growing in one of last year's herb pots.

Then I came in and graphed out our garden for this year.  Shane and I had talked a while back about what we want to grow and what we'll save for buying at the farmer's market.  The big thing we won't be growing is sweet corn.  We decided, for us, corn just takes up too much space in relation to its yield.  It won't be a problem, though, because there is a farmer who sells corn from a pull-behind trailer that he sets up just blocks from our house almost every day during the season.  It's good corn, so we'll get it from him.

Some of the things we will grow will be beans (green beans, and hopefully some to dry for soup beans), peas, tomatoes, potatoes, onions, garlic, Swiss chard, collard greens, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, zucchini, butternut squash, a variety of lettuces, radishes, sweet and hot peppers, asparagus, carrots and turnips.  We might plant a strawberry bed.  I'm sure there are one or two things I've forgotten, but it gives you an idea.  Except for the beans and tomatoes, we won't be planting a huge amount of anything.  Just enough for us and maybe some extra for family members.

As for flowers and landscaping plants, those decisions are mostly up to Shane.  I like any perennials and most green, non-flowering plants.  He likes the flowering plants more, and enjoys the work involved, so I leave those decisions up to him.

I'll leave you without camera shots, as there's nothing to see yet except those chives, but promise there will be lots of gardening pictures coming up soon.

Who else is ready to get the gardening show on the road?

7 comments:

Lindsay said...

oooo, how exciting! I have planning out the garden on my to do list. Unfortunately it is still too cold to scan the yard envision it with out snow. So come April, my garden itch will be on full force. I can't wait to see pics as we seem to be wanting to plant a lot of the same things.

www.thesimplefamilyproject.blogspot.com

Frances said...

I wish! As usual, we will get our fresh veggies from a local farm. And load up the freezer, of course.

Lisa B. said...

I'm ready to get it going. I've started tomatoe seeds indoors and my post will be going up maybe tomorow if I don't fall asleep early tonight. I still havn't adjusted going back to work full time, my butt is dragging! lol

Are you starting any seeds indoors this year?

Melynda@Scratch Made Food! said...

My chives are starting to sprout up too. I did see a rhubarb leaf (oh so tiny!) so I know spring is on it's way.

Annie Jones said...

Lindsay: Thanks for stopping by. I'm following your blog now. :)

Frances: Sounds like a good plan.

Lisa B: We're going to start seeds this weekend. Last year we were early; this year almost late.

Melynda: I haven't seen any rhubarb yet. We planted it last year and are not sure if it survived the winter or not.

Jill said...

I can't wait to get our garden started!! we're hoping to expand it this year.:-)

Have a great weekend!!

Blessings,
Jill

Annie Jones said...

Jill - I hope you post lots of pictures!