Friday, November 5, 2010

What's In Your Wallet?


I saw this over at Budgeting In The Fun Stuff and thought it would make a fun and easy Friday post.

Some facts about my wallet:  It appears to be over-stuffed.  I can barely snap it shut most of the time.  On the other hand, when I leave home, 99% of the time, I don't carry a purse.  I carry only this wallet.  A few years ago I quit carrying a purse because it was causing me some shoulder pain.  I found out that most of what was in my purse wasn't necessary to my daily routines, so I just never picked the purse habit up again.  When you look at my wallet from that point of view, I travel very lightly when I'm out running errands.

Another fact about this wallet is that I bought it last spring when we took our mini-vacation to Eureka Springs, AR.  Why buy a cheesy shot glass or fridge magnet as a souvenir when you can buy a useful, purple faux alligator wallet instead?

So, without further ado, here is what's in (and attached to) my wallet this morning:

Keys to our van, to our home, to our truck, and to a padlock I keep in the van.  Why do I keep a padlock in the van?  Once in a while I will go to auctions where they sell off the items inside self-storage units when the rent is in arrears.  If mine is the winning bid, I need to provide my own lock then and there.

My driver's license.

A dozen rewards cards to various businesses.

One major credit card.

Two gas credit cards.

Two debit cards.  One is to our main bank account.  The second one draws from that same account, but is routed through a third party provider.  Why do we have the second one?  Because it gives us a substantial discounts on our gasoline purchases when we use it at our favorite station.

My Sam's Club membership card, which somehow has never had my photo on it. :)

Voter registration cards.  For some reason I have two of them.

Insurance card.

Prescription insurance card.

A business card with our credit union account number written on it.

A doctor's office appointment card.

A punch card to the local sandwich shop.  Buy 8, get one free! Only 6 more to go.

Membership to the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art.  The main museum is free, but the card gets us free parking and free admission to special exhibits.

Three library cards.  Yes, to three different library systems.  All valid and used with some regularity.

A receipt from my dentist office from two months ago.  I wondered where that went.

An Old Navy gift card (it's actually Kat's) with about $2 left on it.



What's Not In My Wallet:

Cash
.  Where would I put it?  There is no coin pouch in this wallet, and unless it's garage sale season, I don't use cash, anyway.

4 comments:

slugmama said...

Ok, I am sitting here lusting after your faux alligator purple wallet....thanks!lol

I would just carry a wallet without a purse but I have very small hands and I find it hard to carry all those bags of free crap out of Rite-Aid w/out having to hold my wallet as well. ;-)

And what does it say about me that I don't have a library card in my wallet...hmmm?

Very good idea to carry that padlock tho....don't give me any ideas!lol

McVal said...

I rarely use cash either. If I had it on me, kids would ask for it anyhow...

Lisa B. said...

WHAT? NO cvs extra care bucks or walgreens register rewards? :P

Annie Jones said...

Sluggy: Sometimes it is a little tricky to carry everything. But that's kind of the point. I need to not carry so much and screw up my neck and shoulders.

McVal: True story, I bet. Kat hasn't quite reached that stage yet.

Lisa B: Aw, you know I don't play those games. :P Anytime I have had ECBs or RRs, I've rolled them in the same store visit. I always figured I'd lose them or they'd expire before I decided to go back again.