Sunday, November 28, 2010

Weekly Menu Retrospective - 11/21 to 11/27 (also, 11/14 to 11/20)

I'm a menu planner, but when I've tried to post my weekly menus here in the past, they weren't accurate because I often change things at the last minute. On the other hand, I really like being able to look back to see what we've eaten, what we loved, what we disliked, and most of all being able to link to the recipes on my menus that have come from other blogs. That's why I prefer to post my weekly menus after the fact.

**********

Now that our computer is fixed and I'm back online, it's time to catch up on this past week's meals and also those for the week I missed.  And no, I can't remember off the top of my head what we had the week before, but I did remember to keep my handwritten notes (that I stick on the fridge) from that week.

Sunday, November 21 - Out for Shane's birthday at Stroud's Fried Chicken

This meal was a few days after Shane's actual birthday, but was worth the wait.

Monday, November 22 - Hot Dogs on Buns, Cheddar Cheese Soup, Lemon-Pineapple Cheesecake Pie

Although I used a recipe, the soup was a flop.  I won't be making it again.

Tuesday, November 23 - Snacks.

We joined Kat for her Thanksgiving Feast at school at 2:00 p.m., so we really weren't hungry for anything more than snacks for supper.

Wednesday, November 24 - Venison Fajitas with plenty of Veggie Toppings, Tortilla Chips

My favorite kind of fajitas!

Thursday, November 25 - Thanksgiving Turkey and all the trimmings.

We hosted Shane's mom and step-dad for Thanksgiving.  We made or provided the deep-fried turkey, stuffing, gravy, pumpkin pie, whipped cream and drinks.  MIL made the rest.

Friday, November 26 - Leftover Long John Silver's Fish

Shane's dad and step-mom bought us LJS for lunch while we were at their house helping with some small repairs.  They sent the leftovers home with us.

Saturday, November 27 - Turkey Sandwiches, Potato Chips, Leftover LJS Cole Slaw

Leftover turkey sandwiches may very well be the best part of Thanksgiving, IMO.




And now for the week before:

Sunday, November 14 - Leftover Spicy Cabbage Soup.

Clay was still out hunting, so Kat and I had leftover soup and other snacks.

Monday, November 15 - Tex-Mex Potatoes and Beef, Sauteed Cabbage, Carrot Sticks with Ranch Dressing

I used venison instead of beef for this recipe from Velveeta.  I subbed in a cheese sauce of my own instead of Velveeta (we're trying to not eat it anymore).  The taste was a little dull because of the substitution, and of course, this made a huge batch.  I wrapped the leftovers in flour tortillas and froze them to make a (spicier) burrito casserole at a later date.

Tuesday, November 16 - Cheesy Noodle Casserole, Green Beans, Cabbage

This was a recipe from Campbell's, I think.  It called for condensed cheese soup and again I subbed in a home-made cheese sauce.  This time, it turned out better, but I would add more pasta sauce to the recipe next time to boost the flavor.  I also used ground venison in this recipe instead of ground beef.

Wednesday, November 17 - Chicken Piccata, Baked Potatoes, Italian-Style Green Beans, Carrot Sticks with Ranch Dressing

I combined two different recipes for the chicken piccata.  It had a creamy sauce rather than a clear one and it tasted wonderful; I'll definitely make it again.

Thursday, November 18 - Grilled Bacon-Wrapped Venison Tenderloin Fillets, Mashed Potatoes with Gravy, Grilled Asparagus, Corn, Rum Cake

This was Shane's birthday meal.  Since we don't really enjoy going out to eat during the week, I usually cook a special meal at home and then we go out for a birthday meal on the weekend before or after our birthdays.  The steaks were amazing and everything else was pretty good, too.

Friday, November 19 - Dinner at our friends' Steve's and Maria's house.

Maria is Chilean and cooked some authentic Chilean dishes for us (as well as a Peruvian dish and some American appetizers).  I would tell you what she made, but I can neither spell nor pronounce the names.  One was a roasted chicken dish, one was a ground beef and cornbread casserole and one was a creamy sliced potato dish.  The appetizers were chilled spiced shrimp and marinated tomatoes with sliced onions.  Chilean food is flavorful, but not spicy in terms of heat; the cornbread casserole was actually sweet and included raisins, olives and boiled eggs among the ingredients.  Our contribution to the meal was a no-bake Lemon-Cream Cheese Pie.

Saturday, November 20 - Sub Sandwiches (delivered from a local sub shop).

Shane spent the day hunting and I spent the day at my parents.  I had eaten at a buffet restaurant with my dad, so I didn't really feel like cooking anything.  Shane suggested having subs delivered and I didn't see a reason to argue.

No comments: