Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Kielbasa and Cabbage Soup

Melynda at Mom's Sunday Cafe asked yesterday if I would post this recipe, so here it is.  I'm calling this soup my own because I made enough changes to the recipe that I feel I can call it my own, and also because it came from a clipping that has no name of a person or publication on it.

This is a good Autumn soup.  The recipe doesn't call for any added salt, and in fact, you might want to use low-sodium broth or low-sodium sausage if you can find it, as this soup is a bit on the salty side.  Some sweet cornbread seemed to balance it out, though.

The caraway seeds are optional.  Well, Shane thinks they're very optional, while I think they're mandatory.  That's where we part ways, and where our soup parted ways into two separate pots.  (In case you're wondering, Kat wouldn't even try it.  She ate some leftover egg drop soup.)


Kielbasa and Cabbage Soup

Bacon fat or oil
1 pound Polish kielbasa, sliced or chopped
3 cups shredded cabbage (I like it thinly sliced with a knife rather than cut with a grater)
1 large carrot, shredded
4 cups beef broth (use homemade, canned or bouillon -- or any combination)
1 can (12 ounces) beer (if you don't like to cook with beer, substitute water or more broth)
1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds

Heat a small amount of bacon fat or oil in the bottom of a 5-quart Dutch oven.  Cook kielbasa pieces over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes or until browned.  Stir in cabbage and carrots.  Saute until vegetables are slightly tender.

Add broth, beer and caraway seeds.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for about 15 minutes until vegetables are tender.

Serve with cornbread, crackers or thick slices of bread.

Makes about 4 servings.

7 comments:

Melynda@Scratch Made Food! said...

Thank you, thank you! This looks so good and I love the beer ingredient! Have a great day.

Osage Bluff Quilter said...

Beer in cabbage soup? Interesting! Here is my recipe: http://osagebluffquilter.blogspot.com/2009/10/smells-of-fall.html

Sonya Ann said...

It looks wonderful! I bet Den would love this one.

McVal said...

Wow! That looks good! I don't know if I could get away with the beer, but I'd probably add more broth.
YUMM!

Heather said...

This sounds yummy... I still have a little cabbage in the garden too.

Your daughter's "new" home looks adorable! I am wondering what kind of neat character it has inside. And, congrats on your debt free accomplishment!! whew!

Thanks so much for stopping by the other day:)

Christy said...

Beer - in soup??!! I love it! What a great fall soup - I think this would be great with some beer bread! I would love it if you linked this to the hearth and soul hop.

http://bit.ly/9R0yia (the hop)
http://bit.ly/cxJJgW (the bread)

Melynda@Scratch Made Food! said...

We got all the goodies for this today, including the beer (yeah, I love beer :) )