Thursday, July 29, 2010

She's Officially A Second Grader!

We had school enrollment this morning, so Kat is now officially a second grader.  This was our districts first year to have centralized enrollment, where all students in the district, in all grades, enroll in the same building.  In the past, each building held it's own enrollment.

I have to say I was quite pleased at how smoothly everything went.  We were in and out in less than half an hour, with no hitches or congested stations at all.

While we were there, Kat picked up information about joining Girl Scouts (Brownie level).  While I'm not opposed to that at all, I also want her to know about 4-H (Clover Kid level).  While I personally think she would get more out of 4-H, either of these would be a great choice for her first extra-curricular activity.  I don't think she needs to join both, though, so I'll leave the choice up to her.  If she ultimately decides not to join either, that's alright, too.

Unfortunately, she's feeling a little under the weather today, so it's not a day to make decisions.  How do I know she's not feeling well?  Because she sat calmly at my side during the entire enrollment process instead of hopping and bopping all over the place.  And because she's now quietly watching a movie instead of chasing the cats and scattering toys about the house.  And because she says so.  I don't think it's anything serious, just her turn to have some issues with her sinuses.

I also updated my grocery spending from yesterday and a quick stop this morning.  The month is almost over and I very well may be done shopping.  Or I may spend a few dollars more between now and Saturday.  My goal at this late date is to keep it under $200.

**********

July Grocery/Pantry Challenge:

Items Purchased Yesterday and Today (store brand unless indicated): 2 gallons whole milk, 1 pound ground turkey, 1 box fish sticks, 4 cans tuna, 10 pounds potatoes, 1 head celery, 1 bag potato chips, 2 bags tortilla chips, 1 pound brown rice, 1/4 pound bulgur, 1 oz. whole cumin seed, 6 cartons of Dannon yogurt, 3 dozen farm fresh eggs

I bought three dozen eggs this week because my "egg lady" is going on vacation next week.  I bought two gallons of milk because, in addition to the Dannon, I plan on making some homemade yogurt.  I bought fish sticks because I've been having Kat plan one meal a week for me, and that's what she requested. :)

Amount Spent Today (including tax):  $33.88

Amount Spent To Date in July (including tax):  $183.80






Search & Win

11 comments:

Val said...

Ooh ooh! I'm so glad you mentioned 4H! Good luck to Kat this year at school!

Annie Jones said...

I was in Girl Scouts for a few years (Brownie and Junior), and I was in 4-H a couple of years. In my experience, 4-H is a more rewarding program. I'm sure that depends so much on the leaders and the group dynamics, so I won't rule out either one.

Kim @ Kim and Mikey said...

Annie - I was a 4-H'er throughout my elmentary - high school years. I absolutely loved it. I am still using the skills that I developed in the program.

I hope Kat gets to feeling better soon.

Sheila said...

Nice spending--or not spending!! I hope Kat feels better soon.

Frances said...

I am so glad that registration was pretty easy. And you are doing GREAT on your grocery spending!

Sonya Ann said...

Congrats to Kat!
And I saw on the side of your blog that your bills are really going down! Good job! And good job on how much you spent for the month!

Annie Jones said...

Kimberly: Thanks for the input!

Sheila: I think she's doing better today. Thanks.

Frances: I'm trying. With the canning, though, it doesn't look like I've emptied the pantry at all!

SonyaAnn: We're almost there! I think we need to have a discussion soon to see how we want to save that car payment money once the payment is gone. We'll probably split it between our emergency fund and a car replacement fund (that might be kind of the same thing when you think of it) so that next time, we won't need a loan...or at least not as big a loan.

Lisa B. said...

I'm sorry to hear Kat is feeling bad. Hope she continues to get better.

My kiddo also woke up yesterday complaining of head and throat pain. I've had a sinus infection for over a week now and can't get rid of it. The weather is driving me bonkers!

I loved 4-H. Never did girl scouts. Kiddo mentioned last weekend he wanted to join boy scouts this year. I'm thinking he's a little to old to just start, I'm going to check into 4-H for him.

Annie Jones said...

There are a lot of 4-H groups in our county. You can check them out HERE. I haven't called the extension office yet; maybe it will be on next week's to do list.

Shelli said...

You have to enroll every year? I'd never heard of that.

Belle's sitting next to me eating chicken strips as I write this.

Annie Jones said...

Shelli: I don't remember having to enroll every year as a child or even when Kat's mom was a kid. Our process if fairly easy...they just verify that you live in the district with a utility bill, have you check over your child's medical and emergency contact info, and have you verify that the lunch account is set up (we can pay online; it's really cool). That's about all that's involved.

At least we don't have to pay for registration. It's my understand that most, if not all, of the KS public schools charge registration fees.

Hi, Belle!