Saturday, January 9, 2010

Saturday Sweets


Here's a recipe for a sweet treat that was on my list of holiday treats, but skipped over for one reason or another. I'm glad I made these yesterday; they are now near the top of our list of favorites.

Although they have crispy rice cereal and marshmallows, they are nothing like traditional crispy rice treats. The flavor remind me a bit of the Nestle $100 Grand bars, but without caramel.

Credit goes to Mennonite Girls Can Cook, where I originally found the recipe.



Chewy Chocolate Clusters

1 12-oz pkg. chocolate chips
2/3 cups butter
1 bag marshmallows (large or mini)
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups crisp rice cereal
1 cup shredded coconut

Melt chocolate chips, and butter over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until smooth. Add marshmallows; stir until melted and smooth.

Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla, then add cereal and coconut until dry ingredients are well-coated.

Drop by spoonfuls (or use a small ice cream scoop) onto a cookie sheet or on to waxed paper.

Roll in additional coconut if desired.

Chill until set.

Makes 4-6 dozen, depending on size.

4 comments:

Heidi said...

These look wonderful!!!

Annie Jones said...

They're pretty darn good, Heidi. I don't like regular rice crispy treats (neither does Shane), but we all like these! If you try them, let me know what you think!

slugmama said...

Now how did you know that I had a box of Rice Krispies that needed using up?lol
These sounds delightful and I'll be making them this week!
Thanks for the idea....and the recipe too.lol

Annie Jones said...

Slugmama: I hope you like them. It's rare around here when all three of us really like a dessert (I'm not that into chocolate, Shane doesn't like anything resembling butterscotch or caramel, etc.) but we all went nuts over this one.