Monday, October 19, 2009

Still Among The Living

Here's a quick post just to let my readers know (both of you) that I'm still around. It's hard to describe, but I feel both better and worse than I thought I'd feel on Day 4 post-op. The surgery itself wasn't much trouble. I checked in at 6:00 a.m and was back home by 11:00 a.m. I didn't have much pain, although I'm still sore. I was fortunate in that I only had to have one small-ish incision rather than the additional 2 or 3 "ports" that are typical of laparoscopic surgery. What is bothering me more than anything else is the general fatigue and the backache I get from lounging around so much, but I haven't yet had the energy to do much else. That's getting better daily, though.

I'm making some progress on those "plans" I made for while I'm recuperating. I've watched several movies, have read a book and a half, and have taken a couple of afternoon naps. I still haven't worked on the afghan and I haven't done much about cleaning out computer files, but there is still time. I can tell I won't be fully up and around for at least another 2-3 days. I really think it will be another 3-5 days but we'll see. I'm not going to rush it; I really need to be able to attend my daughter's marriage celebration. (Is there a proper name for a reception that takes place well after the wedding? I've been to several, but I never know if they are "receptions" or just "parties".) Anyway, I don't want any setbacks before then, so I'm taking things slowly.

Shane has also been doing a great job keeping the household running smoothly and keeping me comfortable. Not that I had any doubts that he would. I just want to publicly announce how much I appreciate all he does for me, whether I'm sick or well. :)

Shane is also learning to cook. My appetite it coming back, so he and I made an oven beef stew yesterday. He did all the work; I just talked him through it. It was delicious! I'm going to try to post the recipe tomorrow.


Leanne said...

I'm glad you're keeping well. Its best to just take your time after these things and rest as much as you can.

Sheila said...

I'm glad to see you back. It does take a while to get back up to speed but you will feel so much better in the long run for having the surgery. Your body will let you know when it is ready to do more. I'm glad you have a wonderful husband to help you out. Take care and I hope you are feeling better each day.

Frances said...

LOL! The two of us. Ummm, there are at least 3 as I am the 3rd commenter.

Take care of yourself. I know the recovery period is a frustrating time. Hubby has gone through a few and they drive him crazy. Just take it easy and each day you will feel a little better.

Kudos to Shane for taking such good care of you!

Oh, I received my "Pay it Forward" gift! I love the back scrubber and soap holder. I will be taking a pic and blogging about it soon.

Don't feel bad about not sending them sooner. I haven't sent mine and I think I posted mine the week after you. I have to get my rear in gear!

Tug said...

Glad to hear you're still alive! lol I know what you mean about laying around making you sore, but trust me, it's SO worth it and so much better than doing things too soon. Take full advantage of can always pay him back later. ;-)

I've just always heard it called a reception, but haven't been to many.

SonyaAnn said...

I'm so glad that you are doing a smidge better. I know how hard it is to just live when you have no energy. I'll send you some "caffeine" vibes.
And let us know how Shane does in the kitchen.