Saturday, October 3, 2009

Creamy Cheddar-Cabbage Casserole


Here's a great recipe for a cheesy cabbage casserole. I've read that it pleases even those who don't like cabbage. Personally, I wouldn't know anything about not liking cabbage. :)

My version is below, but I adapted it from this original. Note to my daughter and anyone who doesn't like cream of celery soup: use "cream-of-anything-else" soup! I'm sure it will turn out great, especially with cream of potato or cream of onion.

I've also read that some people have put cooked pork sausage in it to make a one-dish meal. I'll be trying it that way soon.



Creamy Cheddar-Cabbage Casserole

4-1/2 cups shredded cabbage
1/2 medium onion, diced
salt and pepper to taste
1 can cream of celery soup
1 cup milk
1/2 cup mayonnaise (not low-fat or fat-free)
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup crushed tortilla chips

Heat oven to 350°F. Spray a 13x9 glass baking dish (or one slightly smaller) with pan spray.

Layer cabbage, then onions, in dish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

In medium bowl, combine cream of celery soup with milk and mayonnaise until smooth. Pour over the vegetables in the baking dish.

Top vegetables with shredded cheese and crushed tortilla chips.

Bake at 350°F, uncovered, for 40 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Makes 6-8 servings.

No comments: