Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Sometimes It's Worth It


We've had A LOT of rain here lately, including some unexpected showers while we were camping. But as you can see, sometimes it's worth it.

**********

An update on the feral cat and three kittens in our back yard: They've come back after being gone for the last couple of days and are still cute as can be. I called our local shelter and they do TNR (trap-neuter-release) for much less money than I'd imagined. They charge just $15 per animal, and sometimes will spay the mother for free. They also have a humane trap we can borrow. We're just waiting now for someone to get back with us with more details. All they ask is that we agree to release back into our back yard and continue to feed them. I don't think that will be a problem.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I figured most shelters would offer something like that. I think with a lot of people abandoning animals at the minute the shelters are more than happy to help if you're willing to shoulder some of the burden.

Now just to catch the things:)

Wanda said...

Hey, that's great! I am scouring my regularly read blogs this morning for a sausage and squash skillet meal I saw recently. I intended to make it for dinner, but never got around to it. Now that I am ready to make it, I can't find the recipe anywhere. I thought it was from your blog, but I don't see it. I'm off to keep looking....

Tug said...

Good news on the cats!

I love double rainbows...very pretty!

Lisa B. said...

Your shelter is who I contacted and went through to get all the ferrals cats that came with my home fixed. For the $15 they spay/neuter, clean their ears (and clip one ear if you want), and give them their shots. I was able to set up two different appointments and take 3 cats at a time to split up the cost. They did not offer to do the mother or father cat free though. I was just so happy to get six cats done for almost the price of one through my regular vet!

IF, no one calls you back after a few days, be sure to call again. I had to. And I bet they are really swamped. I have a trap you can borrow also if you need to. Just let me know.

Annie Jones said...

Leanne: The shelter is supposed to let us borrow a human trap. They've been eating from bowls on our deck and I think (hope) I can lure them with food. The mother may be tricky, though.

Wanda: Did you find the right recipe?

Tug: Not only was it a double, but they were full! I couldn't get far enough away from them to get the whole arcs in frame, though.

Lisa: Thanks for the additional info. I may take you up on the offer to use your trap. I'll let you know.

Wanda said...

Yes, thanks. I did finally find the right blog with that recipe. It was beccasgardenspot.blogspot.com. I made the recipe today and ohmygosh it was wonderful! I will post a photo and the info on my blog in a day or two. YUM!