Thursday, December 11, 2008

Raspberry Coconut Bars

I had a post planned today for Peanut Butter Bon-Bons. For once, I followed the recipe exactly, but they didn't turn out quite right. Until I have time to figure out why they didn't work, I won't be posting the recipe.

Instead, here's one from last December. It was a hit at our family party, and also at a party my daughter took them too last spring. I found the recipe in Taste of Home magazine, but instead of the raspberry preserves called for, I used Raspberry-Mango Fruit Spread from Aldi. I'm not a jelly/jam/preserves eater, but that stuff has fantastic flavor!




Raspberry Coconut Bars

1-2/3 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup butter, melted
2-2/3 cups flaked coconut
1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
1 cup seedless raspberry preserves
1/3 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup vanilla or white chocolate chips

Heat oven to 350°F. In a small bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs and butter. Press into a greased 13" x 9" baking dish. Sprinkle with coconut and drizzle with condensed milk. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely on a wire rack.

Spread preserves over the crust. Sprinkle with walnuts. In a microwave-safe dish, melt chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Drizzle over walnuts. Repeat with vanilla chips. Cut into bars. Refrigerate for 20 minutes or until chocolate is set.

Makes 24 bars.

Notes: I think the bars would make a better presentation if the nuts were sprinkled on last, over the top of the chocolate drizzle, instead of under it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooh I have blackberry jam, I think this might be today's Sweets for the Season. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Unknown said...

These look so yummy. I love coconut and chocolate!