Monday, December 29, 2008

Back To The (Meal) Plan

Since last summer when I was getting fresh vegetables on Wednesdays, I found it cumbersome to plan meals from Wednesday to Tuesday, so I just dropped them from my blog posts entirely.

I think I'll try again. I'm going to keep it loose, though. I'll try to post the plan on Sunday or Monday. I doubt I join in on Menu Plan Monday that is so popular with many bloggers, because I prefer to plan my meals according to the calendar week - Sunday through Saturday. I'll post the main dishes I have planned, but I may not always post all (or any) of the side dishes.

What's more, I'm going to try to "get over myself" this time and not care if you see us eating chicken five times in the same week, or combining side dishes that just don't seem to go together at all. The way I see it, if we went out to eat five nights in a row, Shane would be very likely to order chicken dishes all five nights. Similarly, if we went to a buffet, we'd certainly be throwing together some odd combinations on our plate...and loving it.

I've read that good endings make good beginnings, so here is both the last meal plan for 2008 and the first for 2009!


Sunday 12/28: Nothing.

I didn't cook. Shane and Kat were both sick and didn't want to eat. I just snacked on peanut butter toast and some chips and dip.

Monday 12/29: Turkey Cranberry Wreath, Gravy, Peas and Carrots.

I found this recipe at Real Mom Kitchen, and decided it would be a good way to use up the last of the frozen cooked turkey left from Thanksgiving.

Tuesday 12/30: Creamy Ranch Chicken, Garlic Toast, Lettuce Salad.

This is another recipe from Real Mom Kitchen.

Wednesday 12/31 (New Year's Eve - appetizers): Flaky Sausage Fold-overs, Layered Tex-Mex Dip, Fresh Veggies, Chips, Dip. Last minute addition: Mystery-Shopped Pizza.

Thursday 1/1 (New Year's Day): Black-eyed Peas with Ham, Spinach, Cornbread, Mac & Cheese, Green Beans.

Our tradition is to have "soul food" on New Year's Day. The black-eyed peas and cooked greens are supposed to bring prosperity. The greens could be a little more traditional (i.e., collard or turnip greens), but we have spinach already, so spinach it is. Kat will get some chicken nuggets if she finds she doesn't like black-eyed peas.

Friday 1/2: Mystery-Shopped Pizza, Lettuce Salad, Cottage Cheese

Saturday 1/3: C.O.R.N. (aka Clean Out the Refrigerator Night).

I've long been a fan of using up what's already been cooked at the end of the week, but Heather at Home Ec 101 came up with the great name for it! If there isn't enough for a meal, we always have eggs and bread on hand for fried egg sandwiches.

1 comment:

Lisa B. said...

I have really got to start meal planning again.