Friday, November 14, 2008

Mexican Pizza


I made this for a small family gathering we had on Halloween, and my friend Melinda requested that I post the recipe.

This is from an old (circa 1982) Wyler's Bouillon recipe booklet. I remember making it back then, and then hanging on to the booklet with the intention of making the pizza again sometime. Yeah, it took me more than 25 years to get back around to it. Whatever. It' still a good recipe.


Deep Dish Mexican Pizza

2-1/2 cups biscuit baking mix
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
3/4 cup water
1 pound lean ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (4-ounce) can chopped green chiles, drained
1 Tablespoon instant beef bouillon or 3 beef bouillon cubes
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
1-1/2 cups shredded Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
Chopped tomato
Shredded lettuce
Sliced ripe olives

Preheat oven to 425°F. In medium bowl, combine biscuit mix, cornmeal and water; mix well. With floured hands (I find it easier to use food service gloves and pan spray instead of flour), pat dough on bottom and up sides of greased 15 x 10-inch jelly roll pan. (see my note below)


Bake 10 minutes; remove from oven.


In large skillet, brown meat with onion; stir in tomato sauce, chiles, bouillon, chili powder and cumin. Cook and stir until bouillon dissolves. Spread beans evenly over baked crust; spoon meat mixture evenly over beans. Top with cheese. Bake for 10 minutes.


Let cool 5-10 minutes, then top with tomato, lettuce and olives. Refrigerate any leftovers.

Makes 8-10 servings.


Note:
I don't have a 15 x 10 jelly roll pan, but I do have a 17 x 13 half-sheet pan. To accommodate, I used 3 cups of biscuit mix, 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal and 1-1/4 cups water for the crust.

1 comment:

Lisa B. said...

I love home-made pizza and seeing how everyone makes theirs. There is so many different ways to make them.