Wednesday, May 7, 2008

A Post About Finances

Lest this become a food-only blog, I thought I should post an update on our financial situation. In a nutshell, it's getting better. Our only debts now, albeit big ones, are the loan on our van and our mortgage.

We are in the process of refinancing our ARM to a fixed-rate mortgage. I'd love to tell you more about it, but there's nothing to tell yet. All I can say is that we can't close before May 11 (to avoid prepay penalties), and there are no anticipated problems. I'll let you know the specifics once it's all done.

Meanwhile, I'm "snowflaking" the van loan, putting any small amounts of "extra" money I can toward the principal, while at the same time making sure I add a little to our savings account and to our "unplanned expenses" fund. Shane's overtime hours help a lot.

Our stimulus rebate will be here soon, and we still plan to use it to buy the rest of the supplies we need to build a second bathroom (in the basement). Now, if only we could buy more time to get it done!

No comments: