Wednesday, December 5, 2007

I'm Cheap, But Not That Cheap

I hate when this happens. I bought a gift for Shane at the 'Mart, and then, a few days later, I saw it on sale at the hardware store for less.

I know the 'Mart will price match, but the difference is only $1.67 and the thing is already wrapped. I hate wrapping gifts, so there's no way I'm going to unwrap it, take it in to get the difference, then bring it home and re-wrap it.

Just to be sure, I called the store and yes, they'd want to see the actual item. On some items, like groceries, the other store's ad and my receipt would be enough, but not on a packaged hardware item.

I suppose I could swing by the hardware store, pick up the item in question and take it to the 'Mart and return it for a full refund, but my luck would be that they had store-specific SKUs or something. Not to mention, I don't really need to go to either store any time soon.

Makes me wonder, though, under what conditions I would pursue the price match. Maybe if I'd been planning to go to one or both stores anyway? Or if the price difference were greater, or just a larger dollar amount? Or maybe if I was just in the mood to stick it to the 'Mart man? But then again, there's still be that re-wrapping issue.

I'm sure there must be some instance when it would make sense to go to the trouble. But not this time.

3 comments:

Donna said...

My word girl...at the price of gas these days?? You did right! hugs

DadGuy said...

I think that the $1.67 price is what you're after. If that were $16.70 then yeah, might be worth it. But saving a dollar fifty (give or take...) If it's that big a deal, skip a lunch somewhere, and you just made that money back.

Or at leas that's the single guy's mentality. "If I ate mac & cheese twice a day for 3 months I could buy..."

Annie Jones said...

Donna: Oh, no, I'd never make a special trip for it.

Dadguy: Yes. If it were convenient to get that $1.67 back -- for example if they were in the same shopping center and I'd found the price difference while I was still there, you bet I'd walk back over and get the difference. And of course, if it had been a larger dollar amount.

Guess I'm just saying that I almost wish I'd never seen the second ad with the lower price. They say ignorance is bliss. :)