Saturday, October 27, 2007

Time Warp

I've finished my stint counting customers in the retail world. My next temporary job assignment awaits me on Monday.

I get to work for a week, or maybe two, at a corporation I worked for from 1988 to 1996. They've gone through a lot of transformations and a couple of name changes since I left, but I assume their main business is still publishing trade magazines. That's only a guess, though. They've also had at least three major layoffs since 1988, and seniority plays no part in their lay-off decision making. I left of my own accord, but knowing about their layoff process (or lack thereof, as there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it) is one reason I've never tried to go back to work there.

I'll be doing data entry on a project headed up by a man whose name is familiar to me. I didn't work with him before, I but we were acquainted. As I remember, he was a nice guy. I'm not sure who else I might remember when I get there next week. All of my "close" co-worker friends from that time have moved on, one way or another.

It just seems a little strange to be going back. When I started there in 1988, my daughter was a 4-year-old. Now my granddaughter is 4. It's a little like stepping back in time.

No comments: